Prospect Park, photo submitted 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Prospect Park
Prospect Avenue and Cross Street, Ypsilanti - Washtenaw County
Other Names Prospect Cemetery
Property Type park
Historic Use FUNERARY
Current Use LANDSCAPE/park
Style Other
Marker Name Prospect Park
Marker Text PROSPECT PARK In 1842 this site became Ypsilanti's second cemetery, and at one time approximately 250 people were buried here. However, when Highland Cemetery opened in 1864, the use of this site began to decline. Inspired by a nationwide parks movement, in 1891 a group of local women began working to convert the by-then-neglected cemetery into the city's first park. Funds were raised, the remaining bodies were moved, the grounds were graded, trees were planted and walks were installed. Luna Lake, with its rustic fountain, was built. Completed in 1893, Prospect Park soon became noted for its floral carpet beds and its bandstand and dance pavilion. In 1902 a coastal defense cannon was purchased from Fort McCleary, Maine, and erected here. The park became an object of renewed community pride after a major 1982-1984 rejuvenation project.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1892
Registry Type(s) 10/02/1985 Marker erected
11/30/1983 State Register listed
Site ID# P24954