Eastern Michigan University Historic District, photo submitted 1982 Eastern Michigan University Historic District, photo submitted 1982
Click above images to enlarge

Eastern Michigan University Historic District
Cross Street, Washtenaw and Forest avenues, Ypsilanti - Washtenaw County
Property Type historic district
Historic Use EDUCATION
Current Use EDUCATION
Style Colonial Revival
Other
Romanesque
Tudor Revival
Architect/Builder Ernest W. Arnold
Frank Eurich Jr.
Malcomson and Higginbotham
Narrative Description The Eastern Michigan University Historic District is set on an L-shaped parcel of land and contains Welch Hall, Starkweather hall, Sherzer Hall, and McKenny Hall. The four buildings are all substantial structures, largely of masonry construction. Welch, Sherzer, and McKenny all have red-brick exteriors while Starkweather Hall has random ashlar masonry and clay tile cladding. Welch hall is a Georgian Revival style, while Starkweather, with its rambling, broad shouldered forms and solid masonry walls, fits into the Richardsonian Romanesque idiom. Sherzer's no-nonsense exterior has a few mildly Romanesque and Georgian elements but defies stylistic classification, McKenny Hall's detailing is Art Deco but the structure alone is Tudor Revival.
Statement of Significance The Eastern Michigan University Historic District is significant as a fine concentration of early college buildings. In addition to being major works by important twentieth century architects, Welch, Sherzer and Starkweather Halls are the oldest buildings on campus and McKenny Hall has been the center of student life since 1931.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1896, 1931
Registry Type(s) 10/04/1984 National Register listed
Site ID# P24948