Newberry Hall, photo submitted 1971
Click above images to enlarge

Newberry Hall
434 South State Street, Ann Arbor - Washtenaw County
Other Names Kelsey, Francis W., Museum of Archeology; Newberry Hall for the Student Christian Association
Property Type stone building
Historic Use SOCIAL
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder Spier and Rohns
Significant Person Francis W. Kelsey
Narrative Description Newberry Hall is a massive,asymmetrical, two-story Richardsonian Romanesque building of rough-cut, randomly placed local fieldstone. The building is topped by a hip-roof broken by parapeted cross-gables. The facade is dominated by a projecting three-story corner turret topped by a conical roof. Decorative colonettes, arches, and regularly coursed variegated brick bandcourses break the heaviness of the imposing stone structure.
Statement of Significance Newberry Hall is a fine example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture and is significant to the history of the University of Michigan. Designed by the Detroit architectural firm of Spier & Rohns for the Student Christian Association, the building was completed in 1891 at a cost of $40,000 and named in honor of railroad magnate John S. Newberry. The building also housed the YMCA and was built for one of the earliest Christian student organizations in the nation. Newberry Hall was sold to the university and converted into the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology in 1937, renamed for Francis W. Kelsey, the professor who initiated the fine Near East antiquities collection now housed in the building.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1888-1891
Registry Type(s) 03/24/1972 National Register listed
08/13/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P24914