First Unitarian Church, photo taken 1978
Click above images to enlarge

First Unitarian Church
100 North State Street, Ann Arbor - Washtenaw County
Other Names Unitarian Universalist Church; Grace Bible Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder Donaldson and Meier
Walker Brothers
Narrative Description The First Unitarian Church is a rectangular, two-story, parapeted front-gable Richardsonian Romanesque structure. Variegated rough ashlar walls are ornamented with dark stone band courses. The roof is broken by cross-gables and the rear facade is dominated by a projecting, massive, hip-roofed square tower and a single-story parapeted slope-roofed extension. Corner turrets soften the corners of the tower and each is topped by conical stone caps.
Statement of Significance The First Unitarian Church is Ann Arbor's finest example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. The well-balanced use of ribbon arches and stone make the church an excellent representative of its class. First Unitarian was begun in 1881 according to plans by the prominent Detroit architectural firm of Donaldson & Meier and completed in 1882 by the local Walker Brothers contractors. A student center was added to the church in 1920. The church was purchased by Grace Bible Church in 1946 and leased to the Bible Church of True Holiness in 1971. The building is currently in use and is well maintained.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1882, 1920, 1946
Registry Type(s) 10/04/1978 National Register listed
Site ID# P24908