Richard C. Burtis House, photo submitted 1975.
Click above images to enlarge

Burtis, Richard C., House
2163 South Ringle Road, Watrousville - Tuscola County
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Second Empire
Narrative Description The Richard C. Burtis House is a two-story highly ornamented Second Empire building with walls of brick standing on a raised stone foundation. Brackets and a decorative frieze support a Mansard roof that features elaborate, gabled dormers and a decorative slate shingle pattern. The facade is dominated by an off-center bay window surmounted by a steep octagonal tower broken by multiple windows. Three trabeated porches with decorative supports project from the facades. Some outbuildings including a barn and carriage house are extant.
Statement of Significance The Burtis House is one of the finest examples of Second Empire architecture in Tuscola County and represents the prosperity of its owner. The house was built from 1879 to 1880 for Richard C. Burtis, a shoemaker and one of the area's most prominent landowners. Maintained as a residence, the building has undergone no major alterations and retains its original character.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1879-1880
Registry Type(s) 06/26/1975 National Register listed
11/15/1973 State Register listed
Site ID# P24847