Langley Covered Bridge, photo submitted 1969
Click above images to enlarge

Langley Covered Bridge
3 miles north of Centreville on Covered Bridge Road, Centreville - St. Joseph County
Property Type covered bridge
Historic Use TRANSPORTATION/road-related (vehicular)
Current Use TRANSPORTATION/road-related (vehicular)
Style Other
Architect/Builder Pierce Bodmer
Marker Name Langley Covered Bridge
Marker Text LANGLEY COVERED BRIDGE This is the longest of Michigan's few remaining covered bridges. It is 282 feet long with three, ninety-four-foot spans of the Howe-truss construction. The bridge was built in 1887 by Pierce (?) Bodmer of Parkville, using the best quality white pine for the frame timbers. The bridge's name honors a pioneer Centreville family. When the Sturgis Dam was built in 1910, the Langley Bridge had to be raised eight feet. In 1950-1951 extensive repairs and replacement of parts on the bridge were carried out by the St. Joseph County Road Commission to preserve for the future this historic link with a bygone era.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1887
Registry Type(s) 09/28/1965 Marker erected
08/31/1965 State Register listed
Site ID# P24704