Birch Lodge Hospital and Summer Resort Sanitarium, photo submitted 1996. Birch Lodge Hospital and Summer Resort Sanitarium, photo submitted 1996. Birch Lodge Hospital and Summer Resort Sanitarium, photo submitted 1996. Birch Lodge Hospital and Summer Resort Sanitarium, photo submitted 1996.
Click above images to enlarge

Birch Lodge Hospital and Summer Resort Sanitarium
C.R. H-40, .6 mile west of S.R. 123, Trout Lake Township - Chippewa County
Other Names Birch Lodge
Trout Lake Sanitarium
Property Type hospital
Historic Use DOMESTIC/hotel
HEALTH CARE/sanitarium
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Other
Architect/Builder E. Ford
H. Emery
Narrative Description The Birch Lodge property occupies almost twenty acres and nearly one-quarter mile of shoreline on the north shore of Carp Lake at the outlet to Frenchman's Lake. The complex consists of seven buildings: the main lodge, a three-story, T-Plan building erected in 1911; three former frame cabins converted to utility buildings; a front-gabled log cabin; and a side-gabled log cabin erected along the shore. The main lodge building is a wood-frame structure resting on a fieldstone foundation and clad in clapboard siding, although the third floor mansard gables are now sheathed in vinyl siding. Its interior is a virtually unaltered example of early twentieth-century design. Many of the furnishings date from the lodge's construction.
Statement of Significance Birch Lodge is one of the best preserved examples of the resort architecture that blossomed in northern Michigan during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and one of the longest lived summer resorts in Michigan. The lodge also represents a rare survivor of the turn-of-the-century health awareness craze. It briefly served as one of the earliest outposts of the forerunner of the State Highway Patrol in northern Michigan, and also functioned as the venue of a local justice of the peace. The Birch Lodge Hospital and Summer Resort Sanitarium was founded by Dr. Edgar David Ford and his wife Cornelia Hawley. H. Emery of Cambria, Wisconsin supervised the construction of the lodge which opened in November 1911. Financial difficulties forced the lodge to close a short time later. In 1926, the lodge was purchased by Charles and Estelle Moore and operated as a resort and public hall until the Moore's sold the lodge in 1940. After a series of owners, the lodge was purchased by Cliff and Anna Badgley in 1952 and, with the addition of a brick motel building to the property, continues to serve as a northern resort property.
Period of Significance 1911-1946
Significant Date(s) 1911
Registry Type(s) 11/29/1996 National Register listed
Site ID# P2550