Presque Isle Old Lighthouse, photo submitted c. 1970
Click above images to enlarge

Presque Isle Lighthouse
5295 Grand Lake Road (Presque Isle Harbor), Presque Isle vicinity - Presque Isle County
Other Names Old Presque Isle Lighthouse
Property Type lighthouse
Historic Use DEFENSE/coast guard facility
TRANSPORTATION
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE
Style Other
Architect/Builder Jeremiah Moors
Narrative Description The Old Presque Isle Lighthouse is a complex composed of two main structures, a keeper's dwelling and a light tower. The stone and brick tower measures thirty-feet tall and eighteen-feet in diameter. The deck is made of soap stone and has leaded mortar. The actual light room no longer remains. Nearby is the one-story side-gable brick keeper's dwelling.
Statement of Significance The Old Presque Isle Lighthouse is significant as one of the oldest extant stations on the Great Lakes. Built in 1840 by Jeremiah Moors of Detroit, the facility was closed by the U.S. Coast Guard and the light and keeper were transferred to a new facility in 1868. The light tower and keeper's dwelling were purchased in 1930 by a private buyer and converted into a museum.
Marker Name Old Presque Isle Lighthouse
Marker Text OLD PRESQUE ISLE LIGHTHOUSE Presque Isle Harbor is one of Lake Huron's safest harbors of refuge. Its name comes from this peninsula which, translating from the French, is "almost an island." Indians and Frenchmen portaged across the peninsula to avoid several miles of open lake. When vessels came to the harbor in increasing numbers, Congress in 1838 appropriated $5,000 for a lighthouse. Jeremiah Moors of Detroit in 1840 completed this lighthouse, which today is one of the oldest surviving lighthouses on the Great Lakes. Pat Garrity, the last keeper of this lighthouse was appointed by President Lincoln. Four of Garrity's children, raised in the keeper's house, became lighthouse keepers. In 1870 a new lighthouse to the north was completed along with two range lights for the entrance to the harbor.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1839, 1840, 1871
Registry Type(s) 05/14/1965 Marker erected
04/11/1973 National Register listed
10/14/1964 State Register listed
Site ID# P24577