The Holland Reformed Protestant Dutch Church, photo c. 1990 The Holland Reformed Protestant Dutch Church, photo c. 1990
Click above images to enlarge

Holland Reformed Protestant Dutch Church
57Tenth Street, College Avenue between Ninth and Tenth streets, Holland - Ottawa County
Other Names Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church
Pillar Christian Reformed Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder Jacobus Schrader
Verbeek, Venema, Zalsman and Slenk
Significant Person Reverend Albertus C. Van Raalte
Narrative Description The Holland Reformed Protestant Dutch Church is an elegant and imposing white clapboard Greek Revival structure located in the center of town. A portico consisting of six massive Doric columns surmounted by a classical entablature with an ocular window adorns the north-facing temple-front facade. A three-part sixty-foot tower with an octagonal belfry projects from the low-pitched roof. An annex, which was added about 1900, houses the church offices and meeting rooms.
Statement of Significance The Holland Reformed Protestant Dutch Church is an outstanding example of Greek Revival architecture in the Holland area as well as one of the largest Greek Revival churches surviving in Michigan. It is also greatly related to the Dutch immigration to western Michigan in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and to Reverend Albertus C. Van Raalte, a founder of Holland. Built only a few years after the initial colonization for the original Holland congregation at that time still presided over by Reverened Van Raalte, the Holland Reformed Protestant Dutch Church is one of the two surviving structures most directly associated with the Reverend Van Raalte and the early years of Dutch migration.
Marker Name Ninth Street Christian Reformed Church
Marker Text NINTH STREET CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH Dedicated on June 25, 1856, this church was built under the leadership of the Reverend Albertus C. Van Raalte, founder and first pastor of the Holland colony. Jacobus Schrader designed the Greek Revival-style building using native hand-hewn oak for the sills and crossbeams. The copper rooster on the belfry, symbolizing Peter's denial and pride, is commonly found on Calvinist churches in the Netherlands. The city's oldest extant church, often referred to as the Pillar Church, was one of the few buildings in Holland to survive the devastating fire of 1871. SIDE TWO The congregation of the Pillar Church was organized in 1847 and worshipped in a log church at the site of the Pilgrim Home Cemetery. Composed of immigrants in secession from the Nederlandse Hervormde Kerk, the church was without denominational ties until it joined the Reformed Church in America in 1850. A division occurred within its congregation in 1882 and the building was assumed by the seceding majority. The minority reestablished itself as the First Reformed Church. In December 1884 the Pillar Church affiliated with the Christian Reformed Church. Over the years its members, and those of daughter congregations, have sought to fulfill the ideals which inspired the founders to seek a new home in America; freedom of religion; purity of doctrine; and a Christian education for their children in home, school and church.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1856
Registry Type(s) 05/20/1975 Marker erected
08/23/1990 National Register listed
02/15/1958 State Register listed
Site ID# P24538