The Oscoda County Courthouse, photo submitted c. 1970
Click above images to enlarge

Oscoda County Courthouse
311Morenci Ave. (M-33) bet 10th and 11th, Mio - Oscoda County
Property Type courthouse
Historic Use GOVERNMENT
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Classical Revival
Architect/Builder George E. Hunter
Narrative Description The Oscoda County Courthouse is a rectangular, two-story front-gable Classical Revival frame building currently covered with aluminum siding. The entrance facade is fronted by a projected bay surmounted by a hip-roofed steeple. A pedimented portico fronts the entrance, located directly below a second-story fanlight. The interior of the building features pressed metal wainscoting.
Statement of Significance The Oscoda County Courthouse is one of the oldest buildings in Oscoda County and has been in continuous use for over one hundred years. The courthouse was built by local contractor George E. Hunter at a cost of $3,700. Modest in materials and design compared to buildings of its time, the Oscoda County Courthouse retains much historical integrity despite some exterior alterations.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1888
Registry Type(s) 08/25/1972 National Register listed
08/13/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P24515