Sashabaw Presbyterian Church, photo submitted in 1980
Click above images to enlarge

Sashabaw Presbyterian Church
SE of Clarkston at 5331 Maybee Road, east of Sashabaw Road, Clarkston vicinity - Oakland County
Other Names Sashabaw United Presbyterian Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder Pratt and Tuttle
Narrative Description The Sashabaw Presbyterian Church is a small, clapboarded, gable-roofed, Greek Revival church with a flush-boarded pedimented gable treatment, a deep entablature, sixteen-over-sixteen sash windows, and a small steeple added in 1957. The rear addition was constructed in 1957.
Statement of Significance A classic, New England style church, the Sashabaw Presbyterian Church is significant as a well-preserved, Greek Revival country church that has served the Sashabaw Plains area for over a century. The church, one of the oldest in the Detroit Presbytery, was erected by a church building society which was organized on January 20, 1855. Pratt and Tuttle were the contractors for the project. The buildings was dedicated in June 1856 as the house of worship for the First Presbyterian Church of Independence. The congregation had been organized in 1840 under the Plan of Union as the Church of Orion and Independence. Because of a small membership, the church in 1932 was dissolved. When Sashabaw United Presbyterian Church was organized in 1946, this building became its house of worship. The original steeple was restored and the building carefully preserved.
Marker Name Sashabaw United Presbyterian Church
Marker Text SASHABAW UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH This church structure, one of the oldest in the Detroit Presbytery, was erected by a church building society which was organized on January 20, 1855. A fine example of the classic New England church, it was built and furnished for three thousand dollars. It was dedicated in June 1856 as the house of worship for the First Presbyterian Church of Independence. The congregation had been organized in 1840 under the Plan of Union as the Church of Orion and Independence. Because of a small membership, the church in 1932 was dissolved. When Sashabaw United Presbyterian Church was organized in 1946, this building became its house of worship. The original steeple was restored and the building carefully preserved.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1856
Registry Type(s) 03/02/1965 Marker erected
10/09/1980 National Register listed
09/18/1964 State Register listed
Site ID# P24443