The Methodist Episcopal Church of Highland, photo submitted 1981
Click above images to enlarge

Highland United Methodist Church
205 West Livingston Road, Highland - Oakland County
Other Names Methodist Episcopal Church of Highland Station
Highland Township Library
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use EDUCATION/library
Style Gothic
Architect/Builder LESTER ST. JOHN
Narrative Description The Methodist Episcopal Church of Highland is a rectangular, gable-roofed, clapboard sided structure with a tower projecting from one corner. The Victorian Gothic style church has elaborate scrollsaw decoration at the window heads, in the front gable, and on the tower. The tall, narrow windows are fitted with the original wooden louvered blinds on the exterior. The square tower is capped with a steep, shingled spire interrupted at mid-point by a louvered belfry above which the tall spire, enriched with bands of ornamental shingling, tapers to a point crowned by a metal weathervane. The double-door church entrance in the base of the tower is sheltered by a gabled, scroll-saw-ornamented hood. A gable-roofed, one-story building, the former Hickory Ridge School, constructed about 1835, was moved to the site in 1946 and adjoined to the rear to serve as a parish hall. Another small frame addition was made to the rear elevation in 1957.
Statement of Significance The Methodist Episcopal Church of Highland is architecturally significant as a well preserved example of a Victorian Gothic chapel with all of its detailing intact. It is historically significant as the home of a continuously operating institution important in the cultural life of rural Oakland County. The Methodist congregation organized in 1865 and met in the Hickory Ridge School until 1886 when sufficient funds had been raised to erect the present structure. Local carpenter Lester St. John was contracted to build the church which was completed in late 1886. The building is currently the property of Highland Township which intends to adaptively reuse the building as the township library while maintaining its historical architectural integrity.
Marker Name Methodist Episcopal Church of Highland Station
Marker Text METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF HIGHLAND STATION Highland's Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1865. Lester and George St. John built this structure in 1886 on three lots donated by J. B. and Betsey Crouse. In 1946 the former Hickory Ridge School was added to the Victorian church with the south portion completed in 1957. The township purchased the building in 1980 and meticulously renovated and expanded it, repeating the Venetian glass insets in the oriel windows and the ornate scroll-saw trim of the original. It was rededicated as a library in 1982.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1886
Registry Type(s) 08/12/1988 Marker erected
07/09/1981 National Register listed
03/16/1981 State Register listed
Site ID# P24440