West Village Historic District, photos 1979 West Village Historic District, photos 1979
Click above images to enlarge

West Village Historic District
Bounded generally by Kercheval, Parker, East Jefferson and Seyburn Avenues, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names West Village Historic District-Local
Colby House (714 Parker)
Property Type residential district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Late Victorian
Architect/Builder Albert Kahn
Narrative Description West Village is a late-nineteenth/early-twentieth-century residential area occupying about twenty square blocks on the east side of Detroit approximately three miles up the Detroit River from the central business district. West Village is comprised of 275 single and two-family houses, thirty apartment buildings, and about twenty commercial structures. The great majority of the buildings were constructed between 1890 and 1920. The neighborhood is designed on an irregular grid plan, honeycombed with a network of service alleys and short, narrow cross streets. The buildings are uniformly set back from the curb behind small front lawns and the lots are nicely landscaped. The village contains a great variety of dwelling types representing the full range of housing concepts including frame Queen Anne houses, and Tudor, Colonial Revival, and Mediterranean designs. One of the most interesting aspects of West Village's building stock is the range of multi-family dwelling types it contains, including fine Georgian Revival and Jacobean styles of architecture.
Statement of Significance West Village is architecturally significant for its handsome assemblage of individually distinguished buildings and its cohesive period streetscapes. The neighborhood is of historical importance as a benchmark to the growth of Detroit in the early twentieth-century and as the former home of a number of prominent Detroit residents including Franz Kuhn, Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court and president of the Michigan State Telephone Company; Edwin Denby, Secretary of the Navy during the Harding and Coolidge administrations; Theodore Hinchman, president of the Detroit-based architectural firm of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls; and Julius Melchers, a nationally known late-nineteenth-century sculptor. The district is cared for by the West Village Association, formed in 1974 to arrest decay, develop a renewed community spirit, and to aid residents of the West Village neighborhood.
Period of Significance 1890-1920
Registry Type(s) 10/14/1980 National Register listed
Site ID# P290