Farmington Historic District, photos submitted c. 1975
Click above images to enlarge

Farmington Historic District
Grand River Avenue and Shiawassee Avenue from Warner Street to junction of Grand River and Shiawassee, Farmington - Oakland County
Property Type historic district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Greek Revival
Late Victorian
Architect/Builder JOHNSON S. PRALL
Narrative Description The architecture of the Farmington Historic District is varied and composed of primarily vernacular frame farmhouses, some modest one-and-one-half-story Greek Revival residences, and one Second Empire mansion. The district also includes some brick commercial blocks and features the Governor Fred M. Warner House, and the Masonic Temple.
Statement of Significance The Farmington Historic District was the first Quaker settlement in the state and the core settlement of the city of Farmington. Pioneer farmer Arthur Power, a Quaker, was the first to settle the area in 1823 and brought with him a small Quaker community from Farmington, New York. The community built simple houses and small commercial blocks patterned after New England architecture and maintained the buildings through a century of growth. Presently surrounded by modern suburbs, the Farmington Historic District has maintained a high level of historic integrity.
Period of Significance 1600-1825
Significant Date(s) 1823
Registry Type(s) 06/18/1976 National Register listed
07/26/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P24337