The Giles Gilbert House, photo submitted in 1987.
Click above images to enlarge

Gilbert, Giles, House
306 North Camburn Street, Stanton - Montcalm County
Other Names Giles Gilbert House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Queen Anne
Narrative Description The Giles Gilbert House is a two-story, clapboard-sheathed, thirteen-room house built in 1877 and displaying Late Victorian styling. The house stands on a cut-fieldstone foundation. The plain, clapboard-sheathed facade is accented by typical design elements of the late Victorian era. Decorated trusses and oculus windows highlight the gables. The side porches on the south elevation feature chamfered supports, bracketing, pendants, and friezes with applique ornaments. The focal point of the house is the front entry porch on the west facade which is accented by a jerkin head roof, chamfered posts, decorative brackets, scrolled woodwork and pendant. The front door is of walnut with recessed panels and a round etched glass light.
Statement of Significance The significance of the Giles Gilbert House stems from the fact that Giles Gilbert, a pioneer merchant and leading lumberman in Central Michigan, was the first owner and occupant of the house. Gilbert was a leading lumberman and saw mill operator in Mecosta County and central Michigan in the 1860s, 1870s, and early 1880s when lumber was the area's predominant industry. The house was later owned by James Willet, another lumberman, and several leading local merchants successively. Further, the residence is an important example of Late Victorian architecture of the 1870s in the context of Mecosta County, reflecting a level of craftsmanship significant to Michigan's building tradition.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) Built 1877
Registry Type(s) 02/12/1987 National Register listed
05/08/1984 State Register listed
Site ID# P24273