Alfred Wilkerson Grist Mill, photo submitted c. 1979
Click above images to enlarge

Wilkerson, Alfred, Grist Mill
242 Toledo Street, Dundee - Monroe County
Other Names Dundee Grist Mill
Property Type factory
grist mill
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/manufacturing facility
Current Use SOCIAL/clubhouse
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder Henry Ford
Significant Person Henry Ford
Narrative Description The Alfred Wilkerson Grist Mill is a two-and-one-half-story, frame, end-gable-roofed, Greek Revival mill with twelve-over-twelve sash, a deep entablature, and freight doors on the gable end. A one-story, limestone, flat-roofed addition with a flat roof and a four-story, square, tapering chimney was added in 1935. The present building was constructed as a grist mill in 1866 to replace a converted sawmill built in 1828. In 1910 it was converted to a hydro-electric plant. In 1935, auto magnate Henry Ford renovated the building for use as a machine parts factory. From 1954 until 1970 it was owned by the Wolverine Mfg. Company who gave it to Dundee for use as a community center.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1866, 1935
Registry Type(s) 08/03/1979 State Register listed
Site ID# P24266