Edward Loranger House, photo submitted in 1984.
Click above images to enlarge

Loranger, Edward, House
7211 South Stony Creek Road, Monroe vicinity - Monroe County
Other Names Edward Loranger House
Loranger-Clark House
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Other
Architect/Builder EDWARD LORANGER
Narrative Description The Edward Loranger House, built in 1825, is a one-and-one-half-story, red brick farmhouse displaying characteristics of early French-Canadian architecture. The house is rectangular in plan and originally had only two rooms plus an attic. The house is built on a stone foundation and topped with a gable roof covered with standing seam sheet metal with the ridge running parallel to the front of the house. The house is devoid of any exterior ornamentation. The window openings contain stone lintels and sills. Fixed shutters have been added at the door and windows on the front elevation. The cornice line is simple with cornice returns on the gable ends. The house has three single stack chimneys. A brick, shed-roofed addition was built along the rear wall of the house in 1861. Gabled dormers were added to the front of the roof in 1941. The property includes five outbuildings. A small brick building located fifteen feet from the back of the house was originally a smokehouse. The other outbuildings, a barn, a playhouse, and two storage buildings, are frame and painted white. Two other buildings, once associated with the site, a gristmill built c. 1832 and a sawmill from a later date, were moved to Henry Ford's Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan, where they have been restored.
Statement of Significance The Edward Loranger House, built in 1825, is significant as one of the few structures remaining from Michigan's Territorial Period and as a fine example of early French-Canadian architecture in southeast Michigan. The house is also significant as the only documented brick structure still in existence built by Edward Loranger, an early Michigan brickmason. Characteristic of the French-Canadian houses found in this region, the structure is small in size and sparsely detailed. Edward Loranger immigrated to Monroe County in 1816 from Three Rivers, Canada. A mason by trade, he built numerous structures in the area and in Windsor, Ontario. The house fell into disrepair, but was rehabilitated by Mr. and Mrs. Earl A. Clark in 1941. At this time the dormers were added. The house remains the residence of the Clarks.
Period of Significance 1600-1825
Significant Date(s) 1825
Registry Type(s) 05/31/1984 National Register listed
10/02/1980 State Register listed
Site ID# P24257