The Weis Manufacturing Company, photo submitted in 1981. The Weis Manufacturing Company, photo submitted in 1981.
Click above images to enlarge

Weis Manufacturing Company
Union and Seventh streets, Monroe - Monroe County
Other Names WoodCraft Square
Property Type brick building
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Other
Narrative Description The Weis Manufacturing Company constructed this factory complex between 1905 and 1912. The brick structure features an elaborate dentilated cornice running around the top of the building, elliptical arched windows, and a parapet and large rounded arch on the Union Street side of the structure. The total floor space of the three buildings on the site was 120,000 square feet in November 1912 when the complex was completed.
Statement of Significance The Weis Manufacturing Company was a significant employer and industry in Monroe. In November 1912, the factory employed three hundred employees. The company excelled in the manufacture of wood and fibre board filing and office equipment in the facility until 1964. At that time, the Floral City Furniture Company purchased the structure and opened a new assembly division for La-Z-Boy chairs which employed two hundred and fifty workers. In the mid-1970s, the name was officially changed to the La-Z-Boy Chair Company. Operations at the old Weis plant facility were terminated in 1978 with the expansion of facilities on North Telegraph Road. In 1980, the Weis plant/La-Z-Boy Factory was purchased by the City of Monroe for one dollar with the intent that it be adaptively reused as a senior citizen housing facility.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1905
1917
Registry Type(s) 10/26/1981 National Register listed
Site ID# P24250