Sawyer House, photo submitted 1977
Click above images to enlarge

Sawyer House
320 East Front Street, Monroe - Monroe County
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use WORK IN PROGRESS
Style Italianate
Narrative Description The Sawyer House is a symmetrical, two-story, red brick-walled Italianate cube fqstanding on a coursed fieldstone foundation, topped by a hipped-roof surmounted by a belvedere. An L-shaped wing and a bay window flank either side of the house. The entrance facade is fronted by an elaborate columned verandah with a projecting center section. The porch is decorated with modillions and wrought-iron cresting. The roof is lined with brackets and modillions and is broken by an arched dormer on the facade and gable dormers on the others.
Statement of Significance The Sawyer House is significant as one of the finest Italianate house in Monroe County, and stands on the site of the oldest settlement in the area. Completed in 1873, the Sawyer House replaced the Francois Navarre House, which was demolished and had been the oldest house in the county. Sawyer House was sold to the City of Monroe in 1938 and used by various organizations including the Red Cross and others until the Monroe County Historical Society purchased and restored the building in 1973. The building is currently open to the public.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1873
Registry Type(s) 11/23/1977 National Register listed
06/19/1975 State Register listed
Site ID# P24249