Old Village Historic District, photo submitted in 1982. Old Village Historic District, photo submitted in 1982. Old Village Historic District, photo submitted in 1982.
Click above images to enlarge

Old Village Historic District
Roughly bounded by the River Raisin, Navarre, Wedsworth, LaPlaisance, Seventh, Washington, Monroe and Third streets, Monroe - Monroe County
Property Type district
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE
DOMESTIC
GOVERNMENT/courthouse
RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE
DOMESTIC
GOVERNMENT
RELIGION/religious facility
Style Colonial Revival
Greek Revival
Late Victorian
Mixed
Architect/Builder JOHN ADDEY
Narrative Description The Old Village Historic District includes the best preserved nineteenth and early twentieth century residential, commercial, ecclesiastical, and institutional architecture remaining in Monroe on the south side of the River Raisin. The district was the nucleus of much of Monroe's evolutionary development. The core of the Old Village District is the commercial development lying between Cass and Macomb Streets on Front Street. The development of the city can be traced outward from this commercial core. Surrounding the Central Business District are buildings oriented toward service and administrative uses such as the county courthouse, the city hall, the fire department, and post office. From this point outward lie the city's major residential areas constructed before 1920. The commercial district on Front Street is predominantly of nineteenth-century origin. Many structures retain their original fenestration and cornices. Most of the buildings are brick, three-story, flat-roofed, Italianate style buildings with arched fenestration, hood molds, and corbelled brick cornices. The 1880 Italianate Monroe County Courthouse and 1911 Georgian Revival style Post Office are the primary existent historic public buildings. The historic churches in the district are typically red brick, Victorian Gothic or Romanesque style structures with tall belfries built in the 1860s and 1870s. The remainder of the historic district buildings are residences representing almost the complete spectrum of architectural styles popular in America from 1830 to 1930, including Greek Revival, Italianate, Gothic Revival, Second Empire, Stick, Queen Anne, Shingle, Colonial Revival, Elizabethan Revival, and Bungalow style houses.
Statement of Significance The Old Village Historic District is architecturally significant for its exceptional range and diversity of well-preserved structures representing virtually every stylistic building trend popular in Michigan between 1830 and 1930. It is historically significant as the nucleus of one of Michigan's oldest and most historic cities. The Old Village Historic District traces its origins to 1817 when Joseph Loranger offered a portion of his land, south of the River Raisin, as a site for a new village named in honor of then president James Monroe. Predictably for a river port, the commercial area developed along the river bank of Front Street. The courthouse was built on the public square, forever fixing the location of government activities. For decades there was no industry, except for milling operations and wood products processing, with the result that the rest of the village was devoted to residential land uses. For the balance of the nineteenth century, growth occurred within the limits of the Old Village Plat and the adjacent additions, resulting in the current streetscapes containing a mixture of styles.
Period of Significance 1825-1925
Registry Type(s) 05/06/1982 National Register listed
Site ID# P24246