Governor Robert McClelland House, photo submitted 1976
Click above images to enlarge

McClelland, Governor Robert, House
47 East Elm Street, Monroe - Monroe County
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Greek Revival
Significant Person Robert McClelland
Narrative Description The original section of the Governor Robert McClelland House is approximately thirty feet deep by forty feet long and exhibits the Greek Revival style. It has flush wood siding over a wood frame, and the main facade is divided into three bays by square pilasters. The entrance is off-center and is sheltered by a plat-roofed, square-columned projecting portico. The full-height first-story windows are surmounted by Renaissance Revival type pediments. Turned balusters originally projected from the main facade at the first floor level, but they have been removed. The west wing was a later addition to the house and contains a library and bedroom suite. A dining room and a kitchen were also added at a later date.
Statement of Significance The Governor Robert McClelland House is significant as an excellent example of Greek Revival architecture and as the home of one of Michigan's most prominent public servants. Robert McClelland served in the Michigan Constitution Convention of 1835 and was elected to the state legislature in 1837. He became mayor of Monroe in 1841, was elected to the U.S. Congress in 1845, and in 1851 was elected governor of Michigan. He was appointed Secretary of the Interior by President Pierce in 1853. He served for four years. McClelland sold his house in 1853 to Benjamin Dansard, a local dry goods merchant.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) c. 1841
Registry Type(s) 09/03/1971 National Register listed
03/03/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P24241