The East Elm-North Macomb Street Historic District, photo submitted in 1982. The East Elm-North Macomb Street Historic District, photo submitted in 1982.
Click above images to enlarge

East Elm - North Macomb Street Historic District
Roughly bounded by the River Raisin, Lorain, Monroe and Macomb streets, Monroe - Monroe County
Property Type residential district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Federal
Greek Revival
Late Victorian
Mixed
Narrative Description The East Elm-North Macomb Street Historic District is located on the north side of the River Raisin opposite downtown Monroe. It is composed of an irregular grid of tree-lined streets and contains the best grouping of old residences to be found north of the river. The nucleus of this district is to be found in two plats, both dating from 1836. The historic buildings range from fine mansions to modest working class dwellings representing all periods from 1820 to 1930. East Elm Avenue has been Monroe's finest residential street for much of the town's history and contains an extraordinary assemblage of upper class dwellings including restrained Federal houses, temple-fronted Greek Revival mansions, High Victorian Second Empire style structures, Shingle Style cottages, and Colonial Revival residences. The rest of the district generally filled up gradually during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries with more modest, middle-class, brick and frame, single-family residences ranging in style from federal to Bungalow. An addition, there are several apartment buildings built in the early twentieth century.
Statement of Significance The East Elm-North Macomb Street Historic District is architecturally significant for its fine inventory of intact, nineteenth century houses. Some of the finest examples of Federal, Greek Revival, Second Empire, and Italianate style houses in the country are found along the tree-shaded streets interspersed among more modest nineteenth- and twentieth-century dwellings. The district is also historically significant as the home of some of Monroe's most important business and civic leaders. The former home of Michigan governor Robert C. McClelland (1851-1853) is contained within the district.
Period of Significance 1825-1925
Registry Type(s) 05/06/1982 National Register listed
Site ID# P24238